Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Worst & the Best


  • Today I turned in my absolute worst 5K time at 46:04.  I'm not sure why that is.  The entire race was as flat as a pancake.  I found the weathered boardwalk to be challenging to run on, but there was not a single hill to conquer.  There were some more seasoned runners leaving the site at the same time I was.  They were discussing how the heat made the race very difficult.  
  • Now according to my Nike+, we covered 3.5 miles, giving me a 5K time of 41:25.  The discrepancy doesn't matter at all.  Who is right?  Who cares.
  • Our final turn took us into MCU Park, where the Brooklyn Cyclones play.  What an adorable little stadium.  Our final task was to do a lap around the field before crossing the finish line.  I did so with a smile from temple to temple.  I waved to the fans.  It was a total blast.
  • BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT for the very first time, I ran the entire race.  I didn't run very fast.  I didn't have to.  I just kept pushing forward, taking it from Coney Island to Brighton Beach and back.  And who did I get to high five at the turn around?  There he was, Andre, my volunteer partner from two weeks ago (Check my Monday, June 16 post).   And of course, right after our hands met I shouted "I love you Andre!" for the entire boardwalk to hear.
  • Not every race is going to be my fastest.  There has to be one which will be my slowest.  The important part is that I got out there, and I feel absolutely fantastic.
The new Thunderbolt at Coney Island

MCU Park, Home of the Brooklyn Cyclones

Me on the D

An ounce of encouragement is encouragement nonetheless.  Even if it is a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment