Saturday, September 6, 2014

Separation Meditation


Havdalah

"Havdalah" is a Hebrew word, which means "separation."  It is the name of a service, which symbolically marks the end of the sabbath, and brings in the new week.  Here is my havdalah meditation:

I am sitting on the edge of a cliff.  It is just before dawn.  It is a warm summer morning.  I am surrounded by stillness and silence.  The waves below are sparkling.  A warm breeze skims the ocean, travels up the face of the cliff and into my heart.  This air is the feeling of peace.

I focus towards the horizon and notice the first purples and crimsons of early dawn.  It spills out across the sky.  I begin to receive the feeling of sunrise, peace, future, warmth, innocence.

The sunrise continues to change, purples to crimsons, crimsons to oranges.  The feeling of sunrise intensifies.  It soars across the vastness.  The sky above and behind me is being overwhelmed by the wandering hues of the morning dawn.  It fills the air like a fragrance.  I breathe and sunrise enters.  The crescendo builds.  The first ray of sun explodes straight into my heart, filling me with an electric charge, peace and love.  I feel as if I were to stretch my arms, I would grow wings.  I will be able to soar down over that ocean.

And so . . . I do.

I stand and stretch my arms and lean ever so gently onto that breeze.  I find myself becoming lighter and lighter.  At this moment, one single toe is the only thing connecting me to the earth.  A moment later, I am gently lifted off.

I let go and glide down the face of the cliff.  I soar inches above the ocean.  I dip a wing tip into the water.  I splash sparkling water, which sparkles a rainbow across the sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment