Monday, September 22, 2014

My Rosh Hashanah Thoughts



This is such an interesting time of year for me, and quite complex.  I love the feeling of the air as it chills, and the humidity drops.  Fall in New York presents me with some of my favorite colors.  And I absolutely love leaves crunching under my feet as I walk.

Yet with the approach of four major Jewish holidays, I am touched by the notion of how many lives, memories, thoughts, ideas and aspirations we misplace over such a short span of time.  Rosh Hashanah for me is a time to stop, reassess, and contemplate.


  • STOP - Regardless of where I will be, I will not be at work.  I shall spend my day living outside of my daily primary responsibility.  I learned a valuable lesson last year, that you can spend a time of traditions outside of the place you've come to accept as your home.  I consider it growth, and an expansion of possibilities
  • REASSESS - A year ago, during Rosh Hashanah, I was involved in a 14 day vegan challenge.  Since then I have started this blog, made my vegan diet permanent, fallen in love with running, and started studying meditation.  A year ago, none of this was a part of a grand plan.  I simply aspired to make myself healthier
  • CONTEMPLATE - It feels as if my life has unfolded quite naturally after having made a few basic decisions.  I have inspired myself to just keep going.  My plan is to return to school to become a physical trainer.  You can refer to it as a career change if you wish.  I feel as if I am continuing down a chosen path, and I look forward to watching the scenery change.  I would love to work with kids, and see what I can do about the childhood obesity epidemic in this country.
I have been blessed with this gift of Rosh Hashanah.  I am presented with this time to renew, refresh, cleanse, rekindle, replenish, rejuvenate and rebuild . . . and of course, continue to reclaim.  And remember Dad, Jay and Mom, who I lost separately during this time of year.

I hope you'll continue to read, as I share my progression.  L'shanah tova and namaste to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment