Friday, September 12, 2014

Health and Wellness Beliefs


  • My first doctor in Brooklyn was an antibiotic pusher.  It used to drive my former roommate Kyle, of blessed memory, crazy.  It bothered him to watch me come home with a standard prescription after each office visit.  Truthfully, I had gone without health insurance for so long, that I was willing to say "yes" to any doctor.
  • I was granted a part in a show last week.  It was the most mind blowing experience, and I know for certain that I am a much different as a result of participating.
  • The morning after we closed, however, I woke up with a scratchy throat.  By the time Wednesday night rolled around, I had to leave work early.  I could neither breathe nor swallow.  With each gulp of water I took, my nostrils sucked in.  I have no other way to describe this condition.  I proceeded to over-the-counter-over-medicate myself.  This is so unlike me.  But there's that bell of fear that goes off inside, what if I can't go to work tomorrow?!?!?!
  • When my left ear was clogged this morning, I knew it was time to go to the doctor.  And if you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that I absolutely LOVE my doctor.  From the moment I met her, after our first conversation, I knew that we truly understood each other.  She told me to take Claritin D, prescribed some cough medicine.  She suggest nasal spray, which I told her was out of the question.  I told her about the horrible nose bleeds I used to get when I was a kid, so that particular body part is off limits.  And then she charged me with a weekend of bed rest.  Agreed.  Don't prescribe anything that will make me good enough to go to work.  Bed rest means that I am taking an active part in making myself better.
  • This is the second time in recent memory where I've known for certain that I had found the right doctor.  In seeking guidance after a period of some pretty intense trauma, I randomly found medical help.  When I walked into this doctor's office, the first thing she asked me is what I do for exercise.  At the time, I was a pretty voracious rollerblader.  As a cyclist, she got truly excited and we immediately got into a conversation about safety gear.  Okay, I knew this was a doctor I could trust.  Okay, let's discuss my trauma, shall we?  
  • This is the kind of physical trainer I am going to be.  And I love being able to learn from like minded women in the medical profession.



No comments:

Post a Comment