Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Welcome Back

Sorry I've been cyber silent the past few days.  I have been sick as hell.  Not true . . . that's being a bit dramatic.  I've had one of those summer colds, and I have allowed myself to spend the last two days at home, mostly in bed, guzzling down tea.  I felt it coming on this past weekend, but I was way too busy to let it out.

I'm about to hit the road for the first time since Saturday.  I am going to start with a solid 25 minute power walk.


This is my finish line photo from the MS 5K on Roosevelt Island, which was this past Saturday. I wear that "Courage" hat during ALL my races. It was the ONLY hat of mine to have survived that horrible apartment fire three and a half years ago. It is still amazing to me which possessions that fire chose to destroy, and what it left behind for us to keep. The initials of the courageous and truly giving actor, who gave it to me as a closing night gift, ironically has the initials MS.

I didn't know who Ashley Kumlien was prior to the race, but now I know both she and her mom to be two of the most courageous people in America. Ashley was a part of the relay team which ran across the country to raise money and awareness for MS. During this 5K, which signified the completion of the 3,100 miles, Ashley pushed her mom in a stroller. Her mother has lived with multiple sclerosis since 1980. 200 yards before the 5K finish line, Ashley helped her mom walk to and across the finish line.

It was a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment