Saturday, February 15, 2014

Heart Check

I spent my Valentine's Day morning in my doctor's office.  It was a follow-up on all previous findings.  The "abnormality" found in my right breast at the end of December returned a negative biopsy.  This we already knew.  So if it wasn't cancer, then what was it?  Yesterday I was told that it was a fibroadenoma.

According to the American Cancer Society: Fibroadenomas are benign (non-cancer) tumors made up of both glandular breast tissue and stromal (connective) tissue.  They are most common in young women in their 20s and 30s, but they may be found in women of any age . . . Some fibroadenomas are too small to be felt and can be seen only when the breast tissue is removed and examined under a microscope, but some are several inches across.  They tend to be round and have borders that are distinct from the surrounding breast tissue.  They often feel like a marble within the breast.  You can move them under the skin and they are usually firm and not tender.  A woman can have one or many fibroadenomas.

Over the span of moments . . . well . . . heart beats, my blood pressure went from 140/90 to 130/80.  While these are both at the higher end of normal, my doctor is not very concerned.  She knows I am very active, and I could actually be a naturally hyper person.

She took blood to check my sugar and cholesterol, which again, were both slightly elevated a few months ago, and became the catalyst in my starting this blog.  We'll see how that goes.  Since having gone totally vegan, I suspect that those numbers will be lower.  Watch for even greater strides in my daily plant based intake.  While vegan pizza and soy chicken are impressive alternatives, I know I can eat even better.

When the hell did this stuff become the focus of my health.  My parents, my uncles and their entire generation were the ones who needed to worry about blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure.  Speaking of which, my dad had a heart attack in 1973, at the age of 45.  The doctors encouraged him to eat egg beaters and margarine.  I don't think they were trying to intentionally kill my father, but I still have questions regarding their recommendations.  Nineteen years later, my dad walked into a pharmacy to pick up his heart medication.  He opened the door, and dropped dead of a massive heart attack.  He was 62 and taking 13 pills a day.

You can see how these facts inspire me to work out and keep myself healthy, yes?

Mammogram showing fibroadenomas


Ultrasound
Egg Beaters
(That is some) Promise Margarine

No comments:

Post a Comment