Sunday, February 9, 2014

Cupid's Chase

I was in a car service vehicle yesterday morning, on the BQE, when I realized that I had left my iPod home.  I was very tempted to ask the driver to turn around so I could get it.  I totally had enough time. How the hell was I supposed to get through a 5K without my tunes?



But I decided that this wasn't the worst thing that has ever happened to me, not even close.  I promised myself that from now on I will pack everything before the race.

After the air horn went off I spent 3.1 miles listening to the Village, the West Side Highway, the River. And I listened to myself breathe, and my footsteps.  As I approached the finish line, I swear to you, I didn't have a sprint left in me.  But I dug deeply the split second I was able to see the race clock.  I just wanted my time to be in the dirty 30s, since my previous finish times were all above 40 minutes.  It is my depletion which propelled me towards the finish line.  Even when I saw the timer count above 40, I refused to slow down.  Even though I didn't meet my goal, 40:09 was still my personal best, and I was proud of that.

Check me in the pink hat
101, a fine bib number


Less than an hour later I received my official time via e-mail, 39:52!!!!!  Your race time does not begin when the horn sounds.  The count begins when you cross the magnetically triggered start pad.

I have indeed become stronger on a plant strong diet.  The strength has made me faster.  How's that for my High Power Revved Up Body Machine?!?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment