Sunday, December 15, 2013

Training AND Working Out

I learned this past week that there is a difference between training and working out.  My daily power walks are what I do to prepare for my races.  Working out . . . well . . . that's what I do to keep myself fit and healthy.  But both activities co-exist nicely inside of me and totally compliment each other.

I recently noticed that when I am power walking and I'm pacing really well, I alternate between exerting my lower extremities, and utilizing my upper body strength.  I don't tell myself when to switch.  It seems to happen automatically.  This explains why after a power walk I feel like I've had a major upper body work out, AND the importance of strength training when I'm off road.  I have been doing this with my hand and ankle weights rocking my Wave, and my homemade kettle bell.  It's amazing what you can do with a tote bag, duct tape and a five pound of flour.

Yes, there is indeed a bag of flour in there.


Here are the next five books I have on my electronic "For Later" shelf at the Brooklyn Public Library:


No comments:

Post a Comment