Friday, December 6, 2013

Okay,

I received a call from my new doctor's office.  It seems that she wants me back in two weeks so she can do more "routine" blood work.

When I asked the receptionist if she could tell me how my previous blood work went, she said she couldn't tell me over the phone.  Bullshit.  That's my blood.  I didn't say that but I thought it.  I know I know.  She couldn't prove that she was actually talking to me on the phone.

For a few moments I had myself convinced that my bad cholesterol and blood sugar are up, and my new doctor is going to put me on medications, which I will refuse to take.  And then I would prove to her that I can lower these numbers myself after just a few months.  But this is a scenario which I created.

It is human nature to build tremendous stories on very little information.

So here's what I did.  I scheduled an appointment for my blood work for Friday, December 20.  Then I went downstairs to my bagel shop for my final, I mean FINAL potato, egg and cheese bagel.  The vegan challenge which I was saving for 2014 has begun.  It is on this blog where I will post my progress with food logs, exercise charts and photos.  Yes, body photos.

I am motivated by this concept of Dr. Andrew Weil:

"In 1995, I wrote Spontaneous Healing, a book that explored the body's amazing ability to heal itself. The premise: if the body is supported by the right diet, exercise and other lifestyle choices, its innate healing mechanisms that "spontaneously" activate can bring physical systems into health and balance. In Spontaneous Happiness I contend that something similar can happen with our emotions. If you give yourself what's necessary to support health in body, mind and spirit, emotional balance will arise within you on its own. This book is about how to create the conditions that will allow that balance to manifest spontaneously."

Visit Dr. Weil's web site here.

2 comments:

  1. It took me six weeks to get my doc to write a simple note for financial aid at UCF. The final note contained eight words. I kid you not. He could have easily have written it during my last check up in October. Total Bullshit! Shakespeare said "first kill all lawyers" but I beg to differ.

    Peace ~ Bear
    http://bfshannon56.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically Bear,

    It is the dead playwright you quoted who I work for.

    And in thinking about our medical system, it is completely amazing to me that we consider ourselves to be a civilized country.

    Hang in there and keep yourself healthy,
    K

    ReplyDelete