Saturday, July 12, 2014

Living With Depression

Living with depression is interesting, especially when you're working towards becoming a stronger endurance athlete.  Running continues to teach me structure on a daily basis, and I am so thrilled that this practice has entered my life.  

But for the past week or two, I have been really bitchy, expressing my thoughts a little too much at work, not been sleeping well at all, and isolating myself quite a bit.  With the random mini meltdowns I've been having, I can't say that I've minded my alone time.

Several medical professionals have told me that the depression which I suffer from is termed "situational."  Being faced with back to back to back losses in such a short span of time has indeed affected my mental health.  I have wondered, however, if all of the trauma awakened something deep inside of me, which had been dormant since . . . well . . . forever.  As I don't want to just shrug and use genetics as an excuse for not taking care of my health, I don't want to blame my recent behavior entirely on hormones.

There are times I feel so unbelievably amazing.  My days are filled with this organic high, which I know that power walking and now running truly enhances.  Over the past few days, I have hit a rough patch, quite reminiscent of the mindset which brought me into that shitty gynecologist's office, who had the balls to misdiagnose me with pre-menopause.  And as I've mentioned a bunch of times, my new kick ass amazing gynecologist is able to view me as an entire painting.  Yes, my body is going through some changes.  But I absolutely love that my new source of comfort are my running shoes instead of cheese doodles, Ben & Jerry's and the remote.


No comments:

Post a Comment