Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dunkin Subway

I'm about to shock the ever loving pants off of you.

Are you ready?  Are you sitting?

The bagels at Dunkin Donuts are vegan.

I know, I was totally shocked myself.  And I wish I hadn't learned this information because now I have it as a grab and run option.

Now why the hell would I, living in this beautiful nation of Brooklyn, chose to get a bagel at Dunkin as opposed to the incredible neighborhood spot called Bake Ridge, located downstairs in my building.  Well . . . because . . . I made a decision that for an entire year I wouldn't ingest any animal products whatsoever.  I'm not going to make a habit of these Dunkin bagels, but it is nice to know it exists should the need present itself.


Now, let it be known that not all of Dunkin's bagels are vegan.  The wheat and multi grain varieties contain honey, which I am avoiding for the purpose of this project, the project during with I am reclaiming my body in the name of myself.

Now I learned this information from a web site called Vegan Restaurants Hub.  This is where I also learned which breads at Subway are vegan.  I used it today while I was in a pinch and on the run.  Trust me when I tell you this, whether you are or aren't following a plant based diet, avoid the sweet onion sauce at Subway.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Strike that, I do know what I was thinking.  I saw it listed as being vegan.  Instead I got a pretty decent veggie sandwich, drowned in sugar sauce.  And definitely, without a doubt, avoid the veggie patty.  Here are at least 19 + less than 2% of 20 reasons why:

VEGIMAX PATTY Vegetables (mushrooms, water chestnuts, onions, carrots, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, black olives), textured vegetable protein (soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten, water for hydration), egg whites, cooked brown rice (water, brown rice), rolled oats, corn oil, calcium caseinate, soy sauce (water, soybeans, salt, wheat). Contains 2% or less of onion powder, corn starch, salt, hydrolyzed corn, soy, and wheat protein, autolyzed yeast extract, natural flavors from non-meat sources, sugar, soy protein isolate, spices, garlic powder, dextrose, jalapeño pepper powder, celery extract. Contains soy, wheat, egg, milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment